Ink Or Swim
Photography by Matt Licari & William Godwin
Hair/Makeup by Logan Greenwood
Models: Jonathan Golding, Marina Inoue, Charlie Watts, Tyler Tupper, Erika Smith, and Amanda Schadlich
April 27 2015
Monsters In The Closet
- Richmond, Virginia ranks as the third most tattooed city in America, averaging 14.5 shops per 100,000 people.
- The town of Colonial Heights boasts five tattoo shops for just under 17,000 residents.
- More than 40 million people in the US have tattoos.
- A rooster tattooed on one leg and a pig on the other is said to protect a sailor from drowning. Neither animal can swim.
- The tattooing machine is based on the design of a doorbell.
- The oldest identified tattoo is dated around 5,000BC.
- 35 of the first 43 US Presidents reportedly have tattoos.
- In ancient Greece and Rome, tattoos were considered barbaric and only used to mark slaves and criminals.
- Scientifically, getting a tattoo is considered a medical procedure.
- Tattoos have been used to transmit secret messages across enemy lines during times of war.
- The first occurrence of the word “tattoo” in the Oxford English Dictionary came in 1769 and is credited to
- Captain John Cook.